Be sure to Subscribe to keep up to date!
Employers must be very careful with the transition involved in moving employees home to work. Remote employees raise significantly more challenges with Workers’ Compensation, particularly since the employer has little to no control over the home premises of the employee.
Here are some best practices to ensure your company’s work from home policy benefits the employee AND the employer:
• Physically inspect the employee’s home office to make sure it is safe.
• Clearly define the physical boundaries of the home office. If the boundaries are not well-established, an employer might be liable for an injury that happens anywhere on the employee’s property.
• Set specific work hours. Otherwise, an employee could argue that an injury occurring at any time of day or night is work-related.
• Specifically describe the scope of the employee’s activities. This reduces the possibility a clerical employee could successfully present a claim for doing a physical activity while in the home. The policy should make it clear that activities falling outside the employee’s job description are not the employer’s responsibility.
• Teach employees about injury prevention. The largest injury exposure for employees working from home is ergonomic type injuries.
Questions? Contact Us: 800-846-5902
AFLACTo Our Valued Clients, Colleagues and Friends:
During these unprecedented times, we want to reinforce our commitment to you and the service standards that you expect from us. Our top priority is to minimize any service disruption to our customers, while ensuring the safety of our employees. We want to reassure you that we are operational and ready to provide you with superior customer service. Our staff is working remotely and remain ready to take your calls, emails and texts.
Our Health Insurance Carriers are not charging members for medically necessary screening and testing for COVID-19.
Important Health Insurance Contact Numbers:
United Healthcare 866-414-1959 COVID-19 Info
Blue Shield (800) 393-6130 COVID-19 Info
Kaiser Permanente 800-464-4000 COVID-19 Info
Oscar Health 855-672-2788 COVID-19 Info
HealthNet 800-522-0088 COVID-19 Info
AFLAC 800-992-3522 COVID-19 Info
Our first priority is the safety of our staff and our customers. During these events surrounding the Coronavirus situation, we encourage you to do all that is necessary to remain safe and healthy.
George Varela, Pacific All Risk Insurance Brokers, LLC